Q.     Are building/compliance permits required within the Borough?

A.    Yes.  Contact the Portage Borough Administration Office at 736-4330


 Q.      Are permits required for sidewalks, driveways or street excavation?

A.      A permit is required for obstructing a public sidewalk for construction,

         remodeling or other purpose for a fee of $5.00 per day.  A street excavation

             permit is required before any construction begins for a fee charged in accordance with the

             PA Dept of Transportation schedule then in effect.  A driveway permit is required at a fee

            of $15.00 for single family dwellings and apartments with five or less. 


Q.     Does the Borough of Portage have recycle bins?

A.     Recycling bins are provided for newspapers, glass, cans, magazines, plastic,and cardboard

        The recylce bins are located at the corner of Mountain Branch Street.

        No residential trash should be placed in the bins. 


Q.     Is there a snow removal and parking schedule during the winter months?

A.      It is illegal to park on the odd side of a street on Monday, Wednesday,

         Friday and on the even side of a street on Tuesday, Thursday and

         Saturday from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m during snowplow operations.

         This is effective during the months of November through March of each year.


Q.      What is the criteria for a public nuisance?

      A.         The Public Nuisance Ordinance shall be defined as including, but not limited to, the

                   following activities when they adversely affect the health, safety, morals or general

                   welfare of the Borough:


                              *It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation owning or having an interest in

                                any real estate to permit weeds and similar vegetation to grow or remain on the

                                premises owned by them within the Borough.


                              *The accumulation of or permitting the accumulation of trash, garbage, refuse or

                                 rubbish on private or public property.


                               *The existence of a dangerous structure on public or private grounds which 

                                 constitutes a fire hazard, or endangers surrounding buildings or shelters rats or

                                 oher vermin, or an attraction to children playing thereabout, and a hazard to the

                                 safety which is unsafe for human occupancy.


                          *The burning of any paper, rags, automobiles, machines or other waste 

                             materials, which results in the omission of noxious odors that pollute the air.


                        * It is unlawful to permit junk, junk vehicles, junk yards, and auto dismantlers within

                           the Borough limits.


                        *No person shall keep or harbor any animal so as to create offensive odors,

                          noises or unsanitary conditions which are a menace to the health, comfort or safety

                          of the public. 


                        *Dogs must be on leashes within the Crichton McCormick Park.


Q.      Does Portage Borough have a Curfew?

A.       Minors under the age of 18 are not permitted to be or remain in or upon any of the streets,

           parks, playgrounds, public buildings or vacant lots from 11:00 p.m. until 6:30 a.m. unless

           accompaniedby a parent, guardian or adult.

Q.          What are the restrictions for a mobilehome?

A.            No mobile home shall be erected on a single lot unless a building permit is obtained. The

              minimum lot size shall be a minimum of 25 feet by 125 feet or 3,125 square feet. No

              mobile home shall be constructed on a lot already occupied by another residence.  A lot

              shall be defined as a tract or parcel of land in a single deed. The mobile home shall be

              installed so that the setback is at least fifteen (15) feet from an adjacent occupied

              structure. The hitch shall be removed or if it is a non-removable hitch then it shall

              be covered by a decorative skirting around the base.